Hansen Wins Again. Villopoto Stays Strong.
January 18, 2011
Hansen earned his second win in a row in the Lites class. Villopoto finished second in Phoenix with a two-point lead in the championship. Hansen holds a six-point lead over his teammate Tickle.
Villopoto’s strong start at the first round seemed to carry over into the second round as the Washington native posted fast laps all day on his Kawasaki KX450F. His night started with a heat race win and he looked to carry that into the main event. After getting a fourth-place start, Villopoto quickly moved into second and was riding strong just behind the leader, but a quick tip over halfway through the race forced him to settle for the runner up position.
With his season starting off with a bang, Hansen followed up his good ride in Anaheim with a strong showing in Phoenix. After posting the fastest lap in practice, Hansen took that speed and won his heat race. In the main event, he patiently rode behind his teammate Tickle and made the pass for the lead after a mistake from Tickle.
Already this year, Tickle has come out swinging, looking to put his name on the list of potential champions. He’s proven he can get good starts with two holeshots in two races, and has been very close to coming away with his first win of the season.
From looking at his riding, most fans wouldn’t have known that Rattray was riding with a sore wrist that he injured while practicing during the week. He put together good times in practice, won his heat race, and rode to finish just outside the top-five with a sixth-place finish.
Even though Villopoto had much to celebrate after the first race in Anaheim, celebration took a back seat as Villopoto worked through a cold. His program through the week stayed the same and it showed in Phoenix. Despite feeling a little under the weather, he rode with more confidence throughout the entire day and with only two races completed and 15 more races to come, Villopoto is already making positive strides toward becoming a regular to the podium.
Results AMA Supercross Series
Chase Field – Phoenix, Ariz
January 15, 2011
AMA Supercross Class Results
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
2. RYAN VILLOPOTO, POUSLBO, WASH., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
4. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
AMA Supercross Lites Results, Western Region
1. JOSH HANSEN, ELBERT, COLO., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI
2. BROC TICKLE, HOLLY, MICH., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI
3. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
4. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda
5. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
6. TYLA RATTRAY, WILDOMAR, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI
AMA Supercross Class Point Standings
1. RYAN VILLOPOTO, POUSLBO, WASH., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 47
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 45
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 38
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 38
5. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda, 34
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki, 26
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 25
8. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 22
9. IVAN TEDESCO, MURRIETA, CALIF., KAWASAKI, 21
10. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 20
AMA Supercross Lites Point Standings, Western Region
1. JOSH HANSEN, ELBERT, COLO., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 50
2. BROC TICKLE, HOLLY, MICH., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 44
3. TYLA RATTRAY, WILDOMAR, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 35
4. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 35
5. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda, 34